Wednesday, April 15, 2015

New Work: Salt and Pepper

I finished these two paintings before embarking on a recent commission (see last post). Both are painted in encaustic and are 30"x 30" on a 2 1/8" cradled panel. I seem to be progressing in the size of the squares I prefer, 16" a few years ago to 24" and now 30". "Possessors of Circles" was the first painting and was predominately light colored with some areas pure white. The second painting, "Hidden Light" was the opposite. It was dark, maybe one of the darkest painting I have ever created. Every painting is a lesson. What I learned from "Hidden Light" was about the reflections of light on the heavily textured dark surface. When displayed under an overhead spotlight the surface of the encaustic catches the light and creates bright highlights and conversely produces deep shadows. The effect is dramatic and amplifies the pebbled contours of the surface.

I hope you like them.




Carey Corea "Possessors of Circles"
Encaustic on Cradled Panel, 30 x 30 x 2.125"





Carey Corea "Hidden Light"
Encaustic on Cradled Panel, 30 x 30 x 2.125"

No comments:

Post a Comment