Saturday, December 27, 2014

Big Eyes, True Confession

The media is all a buzz about the new Tim Burton film "Big Eyes." You probably know what it is all about so I won't go into it here. Margaret Keane's emotional paintings were the "kitsch" art of my youth. The year was 1965, I was a senior in high school. My art teacher gave an assignment to bring in an example of your favorite artist. She probably wanted us to write something about it as well (can't remember that part). Somehow I got my hands on a Walter and Margaret Keane brochure. If I recall correctly, it was rather small with an accordion fold that featured about a half a dozen big eyed waifs. Well, I brought it to class to satisfy the homework assignment. I cannot tell you why I did, but I do remember that I had a difficult time drawing eyes when I was young. Maybe I envied those who could, especially big ones?

I got the impression that they were co-creators of the paintings since both their names were used. An oddity that I never thought to question at the time. However, from the movie trailer, I got the idea that Walter claimed that he was the sole originator of the paintings.

If I was asked to name my favorite artist today and I answered Margaret Keane, they would think I was pulling their leg. I must confess, when I was 17 that was my answer. And, if you are not an elitist, one has to admit even today that there is some kind of mysterious emotion connection created by those big eyed kitschy paintings. Now that Margaret Keane has achieved greater fame from the movie, I bet you wouldn't mind owning one. Especially, if you came upon it in a dusty pile of old paintings at an estate sale. Isn't it interesting how fame and value affect our thinking about owning art.





I find it curious that these 1960's photographs shows them painting together. Walter was always faking it for the camera, he couldn't paint a thing if his fortune depended upon it.  And that test eventually occurred. In 1970, at the court hearing to determine who really was the true painter, the judge ordered them both to paint a picture. Margaret completed one in just 53 minutes, Walter refused complaining of a sore shoulder. After 3 weeks of trial, the jury awarded Margaret $4 million in damages. Margaret still has the painting from the trial, it is titled: Exhibit 233.





These paintings were completed in the early 60's. 

Now here's a head scratcher: Did those who knew Walter Keane personally ever wonder, "how is it possible for that bragging, hard-drinking, self-promoting egotist to be inspired to paint so many tender weepy eyed children?" 

I have been a subscriber of ArtNews for decades. I remember one issue had a large ad placed by Odd Nerdrum, a wonderful Norwegian painter, defending "Kitsch" as something that should be celebrated. Here are two of his paintings:




No comments:

Post a Comment