Monday, December 15, 2014

My First Blog

Today, I rewrote my artist statement so that it more closely aligns with my recent paintings. I remember reading somewhere that it is a good idea to periodically revisit your artist statement. Having written a few over the years, I can see the wisdom of that suggestion. It helps you keep pace with your evolution as an artist. In my case, visual advancement is always ahead of the verbal. The process of refining and sharpening your thoughts in writing also helps develop your skill of expression. A skill that comes in handy if you are ever asked to speak about your work. Which I volunteered to do for 10 minutes last Saturday at the RoCo Member's Exhibition.

Here's my latest artist statement:

My work revolves around the mystery of the invisible reality – inspired by ancient history and the truths embodied in the world’s great spiritual traditions. My interest is in how the heart responds to symbol and surface, to color and composition. I’ve come to view my paintings as meditations or conversations centered on the interplay between substance and spirit. I refer to this paradoxical interplay as “Allegorical Abstraction.”


The media that dominates in my work is encaustic paint. Its origin dates back to 500 B.C. and is a mixture of bee’s wax, tree sap, and pigment. It is applied in a molten state and heat fused after each layer of color hardens. My painting technique has evolved to create complex organic surfaces of vibrant color and detailed form.


I just completed these two painting and they were sold immediately, which was great!



Crimson-Colored Ruby Ark
Encaustic/Mixed Media 30"x30"
SOLD




The Beauty of Joseph
Encaustic/Mixed Media 30"x30"
SOLD


No comments:

Post a Comment